Thursday, May 17, 2012

Perfect Cookies!

Well this was my first time baking cookies. I did screw up a few things, but the end result was still great! The original recipe was for choco chip cookies, but since I didn't have choco chips around, I just stirred in some chocolate instead. Next time I will try this out properly. Here is the version I made today.

Ingredients

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
14 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 c packed brown sugar (recipe suggests dark brown, but light brown is also acceptable)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 1/4 c chocolate chips (which I didn't use)
Optional: 3/4 c chopped walnuts ( I used almonds as mother insisted they MUST get over soon)


Put 10 tbsp of the butter in a medium skillet set over medium high heat. Allow the butter to melt for 2 minutes and begin to swirl it around the pan, allowing it to brown. Keep the butter moving so it doesn’t burn. Browning should take about 3 minutes and you’ll know it’s done when turns a golden brown. 


Remove the pan from the heat and use a spatula to transfer the butter to a large, heatsafe mixing bowl. Add the remaining 4 tbsp of cold butter to the melted butter, and stir gently until it is melted.


Add the white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and salt to the butter and whisk the ingredients together. Add the egg and egg yolk and whisk again until mixture is smooth, 30 seconds. Allow the batter to rest for 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds more. Do this two more times; the end result should be thick and shiny. Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined, about 1 minute. Gently stir in chocolate chips and nuts, if using.


Make each cookie with 3 tbsp of dough. Form small balls and flatten onto a tray lined with a baking sheet. Bake in an oven preheated to 190 C for about 10 minutes. 

Now this is the point where I screwed up a little. I baked the first batch for 10 minutes. When I checked it after baking, the cookies were still soft, so I thought it needed to be baked a little more and popped it in for 3 more min. Then I got scared they would burn so I just left it out to cool. Then it was perfectly fine! The second batch I baked it for 10 minutes only, but I left it in the oven for a little too long after it 'pinged', so that also got slightly messed up. So basically don't panic if your cookies are still too soft on taking out and do not leave in the oven beyond a minute after the 'ping'! 

Also, I didn't leave enough space between them so the shape also got messed up. If anyone has advice on how to make the cookies look like cookies, please let me know!

Despite the screw ups, the cookies still tasted AMAZING! Please learn from my very amateur mistakes. I will most definitely try this again and make sure I get it perfect the next time :)



2 comments:

  1. I usually have to bake cookies for less than the time given because my oven has no thermostat. -__- And yes, the size thing on the first try is funny. You don't realise how much to pour for one cookie, my sister and I ended up making a huge "cookaa" the first time! LOL! Never tried heating the butter, most recipes I've tried calls or softened butter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The browning butter thingy apparently makes the whole thing caramelly. Try it. And then curse me in your head for tempting you :)

    ReplyDelete