Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Borracho Rum Cake

This is the start of another cooking spree...which is scheduled for tomorrow! I decided to make this cake in advance and strict instructions have been given to everyone in the house to not touch it until the next day. It was different from other cake recipes I saw and taken from http://www.thefoodieskitchen.com. Today I seem to be having an off day hence this is not my best effort but nevertheless, here goes!

Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 medium eggs, yolk and whites separated
Sugared Water:
3 cups water
2 cups sugar
1 ounce rum
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat the oven at 325F which is approx 163 C.

Sift all dry ingredients (just one cup of sugar, leave the rest for the sugared water) and set aside.


Beat egg whites until they can hold soft peaks, then adding the egg yolks one by one.


Add the dry ingredients one tablespoon at the time, mixing well between each one.


When everything is perfectly mixed, you can pour it on a greased and floured 9″ x 13″ Baking Dish.



Bake for 30 minutes.


Pliss to excuse the burnt top of the cake; I dunno how it happened despite constant supervision...as I said I'm having an off day.

While the cake is in the oven, you can prepare the sugared water.

Boil all remaining ingredients together (except for the rum), stirring every once in a while.  I didn't add the vanilla extract either because mine is alcohol-based. Let it cool down, and add the rum.



When both the cake and the sugared water are completely cooled down, you pour a couple of spoonfuls on the cake, letting it soak. Wait from 15-20 minutes in between each spoonful so it can soak better and with consistency.

Make sure that after the cake is completely soaked, you can put it in the fridge and uncovered. It has plenty of water to keep moist.

After I took it out of the oven, I thought I had completely ruined it because it smelt like fried egg! But mother says its alright, the rum will kill the egg taste. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment