Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Cream Cheese

I'm embarking on a fairly ambitious project - mango cheesecake. I had made a cheese cake looooong back; guava cheesecake if I remember correctly, but that was of the non-baked variety. So I'm nervous and excited about this!

Anyway, the point of this post is cream cheese. The recipe calls for 4 eight ounce boxes of Philadelphia cream cheese. When I went to the grocery store, I had a minor heart attack when I saw each box was 350 bucks! No way in hell could I justify spending 1400 bucks on a cheesecake! So I went and searched online for substitutes or alternate recipes and saw that it is SUPER easy to make cream cheese at home. You just have to take curd, hang it in a cloth for a few hours and that is it!



I bought a dabba of Nestle curd (400g) for 40 bucks out of which I got 150g cream cheese after hanging. My mother gave me advice saying that instead of buying curd, I should buy milk, make curd and use that because in this way, you get more curd than you would if you bought. After converting, the total amount of cream cheese I needed was approx 900g. As I already had 150g made at home, I needed to make 750g more of cream cheese. My supermom did all the calculating and concluded that I need to make curd out of 3 litres of milk. So bottom line, instead of spending 1400 bucks on the cream cheese, I am spending a little more than a 100 bucks and making it at home. Howzzat?!

2 comments:

  1. Shruti, really? You didn't know this? *thappad* Next time ask your mom before buying stuff! XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ayyo...I didn't buy it! Was chumma researching :)

    ReplyDelete