Monday, June 11, 2012

Lemon Pound Cake

Well I have been working hard since my internship started and did not have the energy to do something adventurous on the weekend. My friend had made this cake last week and I liked how it tasted. Plus its so easy that even an amateur with no experience cannot get it wrong! I took it to office with me and it was quite a hit :)

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup vanilla or plain sugar
2 eggs
100ml buttermilk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Juice of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 lemon

For the lemon glaze:
Juice of 2-3 lemons
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Method

Grease and flour the sides of the mould.

Preheat the oven to 170C.

Sift the flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Cream the butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract, lime juice and zest.

With beater on low add the flour and buttermilk alternately in three lots.

Bake for 50-60 minutes till golden brown on top, and the tester comes out clean.  I baked it for 40 minutes and it was perfect. But maybe that was because my mould was slightly big. Basically, you need to keep watching it.

While it's baking, make the glaze. Stir in the juice into the sugar, and stir till all lumps have dissolved. Add some more powdered sugar if it isn’t as thick as you like it. The glaze should be nice and thick, yet of flowing consistency. Add a little zest if you like. I didn't add it, but that's just a matter of taste. Keep tasting the glaze until you get something you like.

After the cake is done, poke holes all over it and and use a spoon to spread the glaze. I did it twice, but it really depends upon the glaze itself. It came out perfectly and within two days, two of these cakes are over!




No comments:

Post a Comment