Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Mango Panna Cotta

My dad randomly expressed a desire to have panna cotta. Now I remember I had made it months ago, but I didn't like it too much because I thought it was too bland and the topping excessively sweet. But then I thought what's the harm in trying again! However I didn't want to make it plain-jane like how I did last time. So obviously the first thing that I thought of was mango! I am going to carry on making mango desserts until I am completely sick of it. Panna cotta is super easy to make and I'm hoping that I do like it this time.

Ingredients

250ml/1 cup cream
2 mangos
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons gelatin
1/4th teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup caster sugar (I used brown sugar for the topping...just because!)



Peel one mango and cut it into pieces. Our aim is to make mango puree. The usual method is to put it in a blender and strain it, but my mother said that wastes a lot of mango. So I put the mango in the blender with two tablespoons of milk as per her suggestion.


After the blending was done, I had a wonderfully smooth pulp without any wastage!


Mix the gelatine with two tablespoons of cold water and leave it standing for about 5 minutes to activate it. Meanwhile, place the cream and sugar into a saucepan and over a medium heat, stir until the sugar has dissolved. Continue stirring until the cream almost reaches boiling point then remove from heat.


Then add the gelatin and stir until it is completely dissolved. Add the mango puree and the vanilla extract and stir until fully blended.


Pour it into the moulds. I used the bowls which are found in anyone's house as a mould because I plan to serve it by un-moulding it. I used a drop of oil to lubricate the mould so its easier for the panna cotta to slip out. An alternative is to pour it into pretty glasses or bowls and serve with the mango topping in that itself. Last time I made it in wine glasses, but I wanted to try the other way this time because I think it would look prettier!


I then put it in the fridge to set. It's supposed to be kept for minimum four hours, but I took them out after a good 6 hours.

For the topping, cut the mango into dice. Sprinkle the sugar into a pan and heat it until it starts melting. 



Quickly add half the diced mango and keep stirring. The mixture may harden, but will eventually soften. Add a little water to help if necessary. Once its slightly thick, add the rest of the diced mango. Stir briefly to coat the mango and take it off the heat. Let it cool a little before using.



To unmould successfully, dip the mould in a pan of boiling water and then overturn it onto a plate. Spoon the caramelized mango over it and serve. Doesn't it look beautiful?!


1 comment: