Saturday, June 16, 2012

Mango Cupcakes

Today I finally managed to go to Crawford and bought cupcake moulds!!!! The tart pan I bought a while back, but its still new, so there it is.



I was so excited about them that I instantly decided as soon as I get home, I will make cupcakes! It was a toss up between lemon and mango, but since all the ingredients for lemon weren't at home, I hit upon the mango...this is like a mango festival :)

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour (approx 156 g)
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 cup sugar (approx 94 g)
1 stick of butter at room temperature (113 g)
2 eggs
2 tbsp. milk
3/4 cup ripe mango puree
¼ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1/8 teaspoon salt

Mango Frosting
2 sticks of butter (226 g)
2 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar
¼ cup ripe mango puree
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350 F or 176 C. Beat the butter and slowly add the sugar to it, beating until the sugar is dissolved. Add the eggs, one at a time into the mixture, and beat well.

In another bowl, measure the flour and the baking powder. Pour dry ingredients into the butter mixture and mix well. Then add the mango puree, ginger and the milk and continue mixing. Don’t over beat!


Pour into pan and bake for about 26 min. I baked for 20 min and it was done perfectly. A toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean.


It was the first time I was trying cupcakes and I was so over excited that I kept jumping about in front of the oven.


I deliberately bought the silicon molds. They need no greasing, they cool down fast, and can just be peeled off the cake. Saves a whole lotta mess! Also, even after removing the cake, they are ridiculously clean!


Next step: Icing

Beat the butter until it is light and fluffy, add half of the confectioner’s sugar, mango and vanilla and continue beating until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 min. Add the rest of the sugar and continue beating, for about another minute.

The cake itself isn't too sweet because of the ginger. Next time I would reduce the ginger and add more mango for it to suit my taste! But the icing makes all the difference. It is much more mango-ey and that's when you feel like you are eating a mango cupcake!




No comments:

Post a Comment